Senior Graphic Designer with demonstrated success communicating organizations’ messages through publications, websites, and meeting collateral. Experienced manager of all aspects of the design and production of magazines and journals: art direction, page layout, illustration, and printing. Designer and builder of content management system websites. Creator of beautiful imagery and functional code.
Freelance Graphic Designer
- Redesigned the Drupal content management system website www.aaiforesight.com and created its new theme files.
- Created the wordmark and HTML template for the email newsletter Foresight Signals, which now has a click rate that is more than double the average for consulting industry newsletters.
- Designed the invitation package for an event which raised $40,000 for the Audubon Naturalist Society.
Art Director, World Future Society
The World Future Society is a nonprofit association of people interested in how social and technological developments are shaping the future. Since 1966, WFS has delivered ideas about the future through conferences and publications such as The Futurist magazine and the scholarly journal World Future Review.
- Designed the Drupal website. Implemented the design of the website by setting up a local development environment (the Apache web server, MySQL, and PHP), installing Drupal, and customizing the CSS and PHP files of a Drupal theme.
- Created The Futurist magazine section of www.wfs.org. Used the Drupal modules Views and Taxonomy to display categorized content on the home page of the section and the home page of each issue.
- Researched and tested constituent relationship management software for the World Future Society. Recommended CiviCRM, an open source web-based application which was a cost-effective way to administer our membership database. Through the improved website, people could more easily join WFS, renew their memberships, and register for conferences.
- Art directed, designed, illustrated, and produced print and digital publications. Produced 154 issues of The Futurist magazine.
- Designed the logos, programs, print and digital advertisements, and books for conferences.
- Photographed the 2014 conference. Shot 1500 photos, wrote captions for them, and organized them in an archive so they could be used to promote future conferences.
- Created HTML email newsletters.
- Promoted from Production Manager in 2002.
Skills and Knowledge
- Adobe Creative Suite applications: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, and Dreamweaver
- Drush for administration of Drupal websites
- Email design: HTML for email; the MailChimp platform and template language
- Microsoft Office
- Mac OS applications: Pages, Keynote, Numbers
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Graphic Communications and Illustration, Washington University in St. Louis, College of Art
- Continuing Education Courses in Painting and Drawing, Corcoran College of Art and Design
- AIGA (American Institute of Graphic Artists)
- Montgomery Art Association
- Organizer of the Plein Air Painters Meetup Group